Learn How to Get Accepted, Pay For and Succeed at the College of Your Choice from 24 of the Top College Experts in the Country.
Welcome to the National College Planning Summit, your first stop for getting ready for College.
We’ve enlisted the help of 24 of the Top College Experts in the Country to take you on an exciting journey that will help define and mold your future.
Your college decision is one that will literally impact the rest of your life. It will help define who you are and what you will become.
My name is David Riklan and together with Betty Frohlking, we created the National College Planning Summit. This program includes a series of interviews with 24 of the Top College Experts in the country, each focusing on one particular area that you’ll need to Get Accepted, Pay For and Succeed at the College of Your Choice. The National College Planning Summit Package makes that possible.
To get the complete details of the program and immediate access, watch our video or read about the program below.
College Planning Success Package
Imagine Learning How to Get Accepted, Pay For and Succeed at the College of Your Choice from 24 of the Top College Experts in the Country.
The National College Planning Summit Package makes that possible. You can now get immediate access to interviews and audio recordings from 24 of the most respected College Planning Experts in the world on the topics of SATs, ACT, College Application, Extra Curricular activities and more.
SelfGrowth.com and Clear Light College Success recently hosted one of the most comprehensive College Planning Summits ever created. We know that many of you were not able to attend our live College Planning Summit and are still interesting in listening to these valuable interviews to help you get into and pay for the college of your choice.
In order to make that possible, we requested permission from each of our speakers to record their sessions and make them available to students interested in Getting Accepted, Paying For and Succeeding at the College of Your Choice.
You’ll be able to download each of these sessions in an MP3 Audio format on your computer, your phone, your Ipad or virtually any device and listen to them as frequently as you want for as long as you want.
You’ll have lifelong access to the widest range of College Planning Advice from 24 of the top experts in the world.
To add value to the audio downloads, we are including the notes from each of these calls as well as multiple bonus offerings.
Your Step by Step Game Plan for Getting Accepted, Paying For and Succeeding at the College of Your Choice.
David Riklan, Founder, Selfgrowth.com
Betty Frohlking, Co-Founder, Clear Light College Success
- Get a broad overview of the entire College Admission and Financial Aid process.
- Develop a game plan for getting into and paying for college.
- Understanding the steps a student needs to take to be accepted into the right college for him/her.
David Riklan and Betty Frohlking are the co-sponsors of the National College Planning Summit. SelfGrowth.com is the largest Self Improvement and Personal Growth portal on the Internet, getting over 2 million monthly visitors. Clear Light College Success is a successful college planning company helping students and their families get into and pay for college.
The Four Year College Planning Calendar for HS Students – It’s not too soon to start!
Brian Safdari, Founder, College Planning Experts
- Learn what to do each year and why this is important.
- Develop your resume of extra-curricular activities and volunteer work.
- Understand the importance of planning to make sure no deadlines are missed.
Brian Safdari is passionate about helping students and families navigate college admissions and financial aid. After he graduated from California State University, Northridge, he decided to devote his life to helping high school students go to their dream colleges while making the cost affordable for the parents. He is the author of College Planning Made Easy.
Six Steps to Finding the Right College
Diane McCrudden, V-P of Career Dimensions, Inc.
- Why is finding the “correct fit” so important when choosing colleges?
- Understand the difference between reach, target and safety schools.
- What are the benefits of focusing on career planning when choosing a college?
Diane is a Vice President of Career Dimensions, Inc., and is responsible for marketing the Career Dimensions systems. Career Dimensions has been developing computer assisted career and education planning systems for 26 years for use by college and high school students, and adults in career transition. Diane conducts professional presentations at national conferences on the topic of career and education planning. She holds a B.S. in Education from The State University of New York at New Paltz.
A Guide to Help Students Choose and Get into Their Dream College—the Best College for Them.
Rob Franek, Senior VP-Publisher at The Princeton Review
- Get the “insider’s view” of colleges from currently enrolled students!
- Go beyond the rankings and evaluate colleges based on how they “fit” you.
- Discover how to make the most of your college years and create your own future.
Robert Franek, Senior VP-Publisher at The Princeton Review, is the company’s chief expert on education and college issues. He is the author of several of Princeton Review’s annual books – the 2 most recent books are The Best 380 Colleges – 2016 Edition and Colleges That Create Futures: 50 Schools That Launch Careers by Going Beyond the Classroom. He has been quoted in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Chronicle of Higher Education and has appeared on numerous TV programs including the TODAY Show, Good Morning America and CBS This Morning.
The College Application Timeline: Know the Deadlines
Dr. Joie Jager-Hyman, Founder, CollegePrep360
- Understand the pros and cons of Early Decision, Early Action and Regular Decision.
- Learn how to evaluate which one is right for you.
- How do I handle being deferred or waitlisted?
Dr. Joie Jager-Hyman, author and founder of CollegePrep360, is an internationally acclaimed expert on the college admissions process. She has appeared on the CBS Early Show, New England Cable News, NPR and dozens of other radio programs. She has contributed to numerous publications on college admissions topics, including Forbes and New York magazine and has even testified at a Congressional Hearing on baccalaureate degree attainment. Joie was an Assistant Director of Admissions at Dartmouth College where she read and evaluated thousands of applications. She then went on to complete a doctorate in education policy at Harvard University, concentrating her research on the transition from high school to college.
How to Make Your Common Application Stand Out
Dee Blackman, Former Ivy League Dean and Founder of The Ivy Dean College Counseling
- What makes one applicant stand out over other applicants?
- Letters of Recommendation & Extracurricular Activities- Are they important?
- How does a student position himself/herself?
Dee Blackman has worked in college admissions for over 40 years. As a former Dean of Admissions at both Harvard and Columbia, she evaluated thousands of Ivy League applications, while also making the final decisions. She knows what stands out on college applications to distinguish students from the applicant pool. Dee is a graduate of Brown University with a degree in Psychology; she received her Master’s in Clinical Psychology from Yale and her MBA from the Wharton School of Business at University of Pennsylvania.
Telling your story! What Colleges Are Looking For in the Application Essay
Christine VanDeVelde, Co-Author of College Admission: From Application to Acceptance
- How students should approach the Application Essay.
- Understand how colleges evaluate the Application Essays.
- Gain writing advice for creating an impactful Application Essay.
Christine VanDeVelde is a journalist and co-author of College Admission: From Application to Acceptance, Step by Step, with Robin Mamlet, former dean of admission at Stanford, Swarthmore, and Sarah Lawrence. Christine’s work has been featured in the New York Times, USA Today, the Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, and San Francisco Chronicle, and magazines, such as Self and Parenting. She is a graduate of Boston University.
The New SAT – Learn What’s Changing and How to Prepare Effectively
Jonathan Chiu, National Content Director for High School Programs, The Princeton Review
- Understand the new format and how this affects you.
- Learn Practical Study tips to conquer the new SAT and get your best score.
- Find out how to handle the pressure of Standardized Tests.
Jonathan Chiu is the National Content Director for High School Programs at the Princeton Review. He oversees the design of the company’s instructional programs for the ACT, SAT and PSAT. Jonathan is a graduate of Cornell University from which he earned a B.S. in Biological Engineering and of Stony Brook University from which he earned his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering.
Everything You Need to Know about the ACT
Phillip Mikula, National Account Executive, ACT, Inc.
- Learn how and why colleges use standardized test scores.
- Discover the best way to prepare for the ACT.
- Evaluate which test is right for me – the SAT or ACT.
Phillip J. Mikula, joined ACT, Inc., in April of 2012. Prior to his appointment at ACT, Inc., Phillip spent 4 years as National Director of Educational Sales for a national supplemental curriculum company, with previous educational business experience at a well-known Texas-based assessment company. He has extensive systematic experience in public education – both K-12 and post-secondary. Earning degrees from the Eastman School of Music with continuing studies at Rice University, Phillip continues to enjoy the process of teaching and learning and most recently completed his MBA in October of 2013.
Understanding Financial Aid Essentials
Chuck Drawbaugh, Registered Representative and Partner at George H. Drawbaugh & Associates
- Learn the Basics of College Financial Aid.
- Understand why planning now can save you money later.
- Avoid the common mistakes families often make when it comes to paying for college.
Chuck Drawbaugh is a leading college expert and consumer advocate in New Jersey and founded College Funding Associates, LLC in 1999. His main goal is to save families time and money and reduce the stress associated with the whole college process. He is a registered representative with Securities America, Inc. and a partner at George H. Drawbaugh & Associates, an independent insurance and investment firm located in Rumson, New Jersey.
Grants, Scholarships and Loans – What You Need To Know!
Timothy Parros, Founder, Parros College Planning
- What are the differences between Grants, Scholarships and Loans.
- How to apply for Government Financial Aid.
- How to Make College More Affordable.
Timothy Parros became interested in College Planning as he developed financial plans for his clients. He noticed again and again that parents were struggling to find a way to pay for their child’s college education without taking on a great deal of debt or dipping into their retirement resources. His services include offering his clients education and advice on financial aid, education savings plans, tax reduction strategies, cash flow enhancement, gifting and loan strategies and, most of all, how to get his client’s children into the college that’s right for them.
Don’t Leave Money on the Table! Understanding Financial Aid Forms – The FAFSA and CSS Profile.
RonThem, Co-Founder of the National Institute of Certified College Planners
- Learn how financial aid is calculated.
- Explore the FAFSA and why you should fill it out.
- Find out about the new changes to the FAFSA and how that impacts you.
Ron is a former Chief Financial Officer of a Fortune 500 company and is the current Managing Director and co-founder of the National Institute of Certified College Planners. He is regarded as an expert in the college funding field and specializes in cash flow planning for business owners and executives. He developed the Cash Flow Recovery® process that uses cash flow management principles to increase asset value and build wealth for business owners. He is also the originator of several software calculators to help advisors and families make college affordable.
How Are We Going to Pay For College?
Robert E. Frohlking, Certified Public Accountant
- Learn about the Education Tax Credits and Tax Deductions on Form 1040.
- Business owners – How your business can help pay for college.
- Explore how to develop a long term plan to pay for college.
Robert (Bob) E. Frohlking, CPA, CCPS is a Certified Public Accountant licensed in the State of California and Certified College Planning Specialist (CCPS) – a designation granted by the National Institute of Certified College Planners (NICCP). He received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration from the College of Charleston, South Carolina. Prior to opening his own private CPA practice in 1998, he held a variety of executive positions including Controller with a prominent Fortune 500 Company, in both the Domestic & International Divisions.
10 Tips for an Effective College Visit
Janice Caine, Founder of Custom College Visits
- Learn how to prepare for the campus visit.
- Important questions to ask and things to do during your campus visit.
- How to evaluate each campus and create your college list.
Janice is the founder of Custom College Visits. She has over twenty years of travel industry experience and over five years of planning college visit itineraries for families across the US and worldwide. At Custom College Visits, Janice works directly with students and their parents facilitating initial consultations and handling on-campus logistics, travel research, and trip implementation.
Interested in Pre-Med, Professional Programs or the US Military Academies? Learn More!
Nadine S. Green, Founder, The College Advisor Network For U, Inc.
- Discover what it takes to become Veterinarian, Attorney or other professional requiring advanced degrees.
- Learn how to prepare for these competitive programs while you are still in High School.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of combined BS/MD and other joint degrees programs.
Nadine Green is a Certified College Counselor, Speech Pathologist and highly diversified Business Executive. She understands the college admission process from both sides – as a parent and an advisor. She is the owner and founder of the College Advisor Network For U. She enjoys helping young adults succeed in college and in their everyday lives. She has a MA in Speech Language Pathology from Hofstra University and earned her Certified College Counselor Certificate through the University of California – San Diego Extension Campus.
College Athletics – What Families Need to Hear! You Don’t Pick the School, the School Picks You!
Jack Renkens, Founder, Recruiting Realities
- Understand how the college athletic recruiting process really works.
- Learn how to find the right school and the right financial aid package for your student athlete.
- Explore the different opportunities available to High School Students who want to play sports in college and earn a degree.
Jack Renkens, founder of Recruiting Realities and author of “It’s a Game…Know the Rules,” has established himself as one of the top athletic/motivational speakers in the nation. He has presented at state athletic conferences, football clinics, college financial planning groups, sports camps and high schools from coast to coast. A former High School and College Basketball Coach and parent of a College Basketball player, he brings a unique perspective and message that all Parents and High School Student Athletes need to hear.
Keep Playing: Being Recruited to Play NAIA College Sports
Angela Crawford, Manager of Marketing and Communications for the NAIA
- Discover the NAIA and the academic and athletic opportunities at NAIA Member Schools.
- Learn how to get some of the $500 million in scholarships awarded by NAIA schools annually.
- Explore the eligibility and recruiting process to become an NAIA student Athlete.
As a Manager of Marketing and Communications, Angela’s primary responsibility is getting the word out about the NAIA Eligibility Center and educating the public on the student registration, eligibility and recruiting process for the NAIA. Angela also develops and oversees the NAIA’s social media efforts and a number of student-athlete experience initiatives. Angela received her Undergraduate degree in Public Communication and Public Administration from Truman State University and a Master’s degree in Communication Studies at the University of Kansas.
Everything You Need to Know About the Gap Year!
Ethan Knight, Founder, The American Gap Association
- I’ve never heard of Gap Year…What is a Gap Year?
- Learn the benefits that students receive from participating in Gap Year Programs.
- How to choose a Gap Year Program.
Ethan Knight started working with Gap Years in 1996 when he took his own Gap Year to India, Nepal and Tibet. A graduate of Williamette University with degrees in English and Philosophy, he is passionate about the value of the Gap Year and in 2012 launched the non-profit American Gap Association to establish best practices in Gap Year education. Ethan has led countless leadership training seminars, been a presenter at TEDx, a guest speaker internationally, worked with more than 2,500 US Gap Year students, and believes firmly that education is the closest thing we have to a panacea for the world’s ills.
You are Great! Make Sure Your Online Reputation is Too!
Carolynn Crabtree, Co-Founder, Cornerstone Reputation
- Are colleges looking at your Social Media posts? The answer may surprise you!
- Learn how to make a positive impression with Social Media and what type of Social Media to avoid.
- Discover how your Social Media posts can impact your future.
Carolynn Crabtree is a co-founder of Cornerstone Reputation, a research-based educational company committed to helping students manage their digital footprints with an eye towards college admissions and athletic recruiting.She brings a strong sense of the power of perception and how individuals such as employers use online information to form conclusions about individuals. She is a graduate of Princeton University and has performed a number of Princeton University Alumnus interviews in the past.
How to be Successful in College and Have Job Prospects When You Graduate
Billy Glading, Co-Founder, CandidCareer.com
- What you need to do during college to get a great job after graduation.
- Learn how to sharpen your business skills throughout college.
- Understand what industry professionals are looking for when they hire college graduates.
The origin of CandidCareer.com came from Billy and his business partner who saw the need for, and value in, a more video focused career exploration tool. The two hit the streets (originally with a small Flip camera) to find out what people do professionally and their reasons for doing it. What ensued was an outpouring of valuable career information and heartfelt advice, which was all captured on camera. Billy is a graduate from of The University of Virginia with a BA in Economics.
Merit Aid! Free Money for College!
James Maroney, Founder, First Choice College Placement
- Discover what Merit Aid is and why even wealthy students can get Merit Aid.
- Understand how Good Grades and SAT/ACT scores can increase your chances of receiving Merit Aid.
- Learn how to apply to receive Merit Aid.
James Maroney founded First Choice College Placement in January of 1999 with the goal of helping to make students’ college dreams become realities. As a business, First Choice College Placement makes community service a priority and offers a number of educational seminars as well as making practice SAT and ACT tests available to the community. James is a 1996 graduate of Yale University and was a 3 time varsity letter winner in both track and cross-country.
Learn How to Become a College’s Ideal Applicant
Paul Lloyd Hemphill, Founder, Planning-For-College
- Learn the #1 quality colleges are looking for in applicants.
- Find out how to develop this quality.
- Explore the other qualities that colleges also seek.
As a college marketing strategist, Paul Lloyd Hemphill positions his students to be irresistible to the colleges long before they see grades, test scores or athletic ability. He also uses his proven financial techniques to lower the cost of college. His book, Why You’re Already A Leader, uses the Battle of Gettysburg to prove, with 88 short stories, that leadership is in your DNA. Paul earned a degree in philosophy, received the Bronze Star and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry while in the US Army, and returned home for a life-long career in marketing and writing.
Why Tutoring is Not Always the Answer to Getting Better Grades
Dr. Ken Gibson, Founder,LearningRx
Michael Ginsberg, Certified Brain Trainer
- Learn about your brain – the relationship between cognitive skills and learning.
- Understand the difference between tutoring and brain training.
- Find out how HS students preparing for college may benefit from brain training.
Dr. Ken Gibson, an eye doctor by training, is a passionate education and health care pioneer with a life-long pursuit of helping struggling students learn faster and easier. In January, 2002, this passion culminated in the founding of LearningRx, Inc. a brain skills testing and training network with more than 90 LearningRx Centers across the United States and 40 BrainRx Center worldwide.
Michael Ginsberg is the Executive Director and Owner of LearningRx Brain Training Centers in Marlboro and Red Bank, NJ. In the past 3 years, his centers have tested the cognitive ability of over 250 clients, and trained over 125 students to improve their learning ability. He has an MBA from Rutgers University and is a Certified Brain Trainer.
Will Your Student Benefit From a Gap Year?
Sandy Furth, Founder, World Student Support
- Learn all about the Gap Year and why your student might benefit.
- Find out what colleges think about students who take a Gap Year.
- Explore the many options that are available for taking a Gap year.
Sandy Furth has over 20 years of teaching elementary, middle school and high school in the United States, Malaysia, Japan and England. Upon her return to the United States, Sandy launched the educational consulting company World Student Support as a response to parents looking for specific educational options for their children. Sandy received her Bachelor’s Degree from University of New Mexico, Master’s Degree and teaching certificate from University of Utah and a College Counseling Certificate from UCLA.